We always hear Mike Shanahan talk about “doing the little things right” but what exactly are those little things? Every coach has his own principles that build the foundation and attitude of his football team, and Mike Shanahan is no different. He is big on accountability and expecting perfection, just ask guys like Steve Young, John Elway, and even Jake Plummer. When the little things are done to perfection than a Shanahan offense becomes a dominant unit, but when they are not they struggle with consistency.
Nothing here is earth shattering, but it will help you identify who is doing it the Shanahan way and who is not. There is always a player or two you think are performing on the field but end up in the famous Shanahan doghouse for reasons you can not figure out. The reason usually starts with ” not doing the little things” right..
Enough with the talk, check out Mike Shanahan’s list of expectations & offensive accountability.
1. DURING ANY NON-TEAM DRILL IN PRACTICE (7 ON 7, INSTALLATION, ETC.) IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NOT LET ANY FOOTBALL HIT THE GROUND. (STRIVE FOR PERFECTION).
2. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NEVER BE CHARGED WITH A DELAY OF GAME PENALTY. THE QB IS AT FAULT IF WE ARE.
3. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS THE QB’S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE EACH MEMBER OF THE OFFENSIVE UNIT LEAVES THE HUDDLE WITH THE PROPER PLAY CALL (FORMATION, PLAY, SNAP COUNT).
4. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION THAT THE QB MAKES ONLY GOOD DECISIONS WITH THE FOOTBALL. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, NEVER FORCING THROWS IN THE RED ZONE AND NEVER TAKING SACKS ON 3RD DOWNS THAT TAKE OUR OFFENSE OUT OF FG RANGE.
5. IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO WIN ALL THE TIME. HAVING THIS EXPECTATION REQUIRES THAT THE QB BE ACCOUNTABLE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE REST OF HIS TEAMMATES AND SETS THE EXAMPLE OF HOW THE REDSKINS PREPARE TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES.
1. BE PHYSICAL AND RELENTLESS IN THE RUN BLOCKING SCHEME. WE WILL BE COMMITTED TO THE RUN OR YOU WON’T BE ON THE FIELD!
2. AS A GROUP, WE WILL MAKE PLAYS AND WE WILL NOT BE DENIED THE END ZONE! WE ARE DEDICATED TO RUN AFTER THE CATCH, AND WE WILL MOVE THE CHAINS! WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING PLAYS!
3. WHEN THE BALL IS IN THE AIR, IT BELONGS TO US. IF THE BALL TOUCHES YOUR HANDS IT IS YOURS.
4. DEVELOP A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR OFFENSIVE PLAYBOOK AND THE SCHEMES AS THEY RELATE TO COVERAGE. THE EDUCATED STUDENT OF THE GAME CAN GO ON THE FIELD AND REACT WHILE HIS OPPONENT IS STILL THINKING. ALWAYS KNOW YOUR OPPONENT.
5. PREPARE YOURSELF IN THE WEIGHT ROOM TO DOMINATE YOUR OPPONENT, LEAVING NO STONE UNTURNED. CONTINUE TO GROW EACH YEAR, NEVER BEING SATISFIED WITH THE PREVIOUS YEAR.
1. FINISH EVERY PLAY FULL SPEED WITH/WITHOUT THE BALL. (RUNS & RECEPTIONS 40 YDS DOWNFIELD) (BLOCKING & FAKES).
2. OMIT FUMBLES – PROTECT THE BALL (SQUEEZE BALL/PRESSURE POINTS).
3. BLOCKING IS A MUST! (RUN & PASS) (ATTACK & STRIKE).
4. NO NEGATIVE YARDS – GET BALL UP FIELD IN A HURRY – (YOU GET ONE CUT).
5. STAY IN BOUNDS – OUR RB’S DON’T RUN OUT OF BOUNDS!!! (ATTACK & STRIKE DEFENDERS).
1. KNOW YOUR ASSIGNMENT ON EVERY PLAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HUDDLE – WE LINE UP IN A LOT OF FORMATIONS, NO MISSED ASSIGNMENTS.
2. ALWAYS FINISH YOUR BLOCKS FRONT AND BACKSIDE IN THE RUNNING GAME AND IN THE PASS PROTECTION.
3. WHEN THE BALL IS THROWN TO US, WE ALWAYS MAKE THE PLAY! IT NEVER HITS THE GROUND, WE TOUCH IT – WE CATCH IT!
4. ALWAYS TURN THE BALL UP IN YOUR SHADOW AFTER YOU CATCH THE BALL! FINISH PAST THE HEAD COACH.
5. WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR YARDS AFTER THE CATCH, MAKE PLAYS FOR YOUR TEAM.
1. BE SMART – WORK FOR NO MENTAL MISTAKES IN ASSIGNMENT AND TECHNIQUE. YOU MUST BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE TO DO AND HOW TO DO IT.
2. BE TOUGH – PLAY HARD, TOUGH, AND AGGRESSIVE IN PRACTICE AND GAMES. GIVE YOUR COACHES AND TEAMMATES A GREAT EFFORT EVERY PLAY AND EVERY DAY.
3. BE CONSISTENT – STUDY, PREPARE AND WORK EVERY DAY. YOU MUST COME READY TO WORK AND IMPROVE EACH DAY, EVERY PERIOD – TEAM OR INDIVIDUAL.
4. TALK – WE MUST WORK AS A UNIT. OUR PERFORMANCE IS BASED ON HOW WE WORK AS A GROUP AND WE NEED TO BE ON THE SAME PAGE EVERY PLAY.
5. LISTEN – IN ORDER TO PLAY AND IMPROVE YOU MUST BE WILLING TO DO WHAT WE ASK. REFINING YOUR TECHNIQUE AND SKILLS IS ESSENTIAL TO OUR SUCCESS.
“BE ACCOUNTABLE TO EACH OTHER”